Job Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Starbucks success by leading the development of brand management, innovation and marketing activities. Develops strategic assessments for brands/categories and manages the business against operating plans and budgets to achieve financial and business objectives. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Leadership – Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together. Works cross-functionally and with the brand team to grow share, build the brand and achieve financial objectives:
– Leads and/or oversees day to day management of brand activity including forecasting; budget tracking; shipment and consumption analysis; marketing plan execution and program tracking. Manages the business against operating plans and budgets.
– Leads cross-functional and project teams to deliver strategic recommendations, new products and/or marketing programs.
– Directs marketing programming and budget allocation.
– Builds strong relationships within a matrix structure to ensure achievement of business objectives as well as marketing message consistency and adherence to brand guardrails.
– Evaluates information and identifies issues that require within-brand-team resolution or escalation.
– Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure effectiveness of immediate team of direct reports.
– Coach and mentor teams to enhance brand management knowledge.
– Promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership and teamwork to achieve business results. May serve as proxy for director in key meetings.
– Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
– Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company.
Planning and Execution – Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
– Creates annual operating and marketing plans including recommendations for products, pricing, packaging, promotions and distribution.
– Collaborates with internal and external strategic business partners to develop joint marketing strategies and plans; oversees implementation and monitors results.
– Recommends strategic direction of category brand or channel brand to senior management.
– Coordinate and execute advertising and promotions that support and are consistent with company-wide marketing and brand goals and objectives.
– Tracks, analyzes and communicates product and program performance. Recommends action plans to address variances in brand performance against annual plan.
– Directs and oversees forecasting and business analysis.
– Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization.
– Plans and manages business unit and department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned
with company business goals and objectives.
Business Management – Providing brand management expertise and executing marketing responsibilities:
– Manages the brand P&L via marketing program execution and budget management.
– Evaluates, prioritizes and leads decisions regarding new products and marketing opportunities based on financial viability and brand fit.
– Identifies and leads integrated programs in collaboration with other brands and channels.
– Leads consumer research to define customer targets and marketing mix. Applies insights to make decisions. regarding brand direction.
– Applies consumer insights and understanding of marketplace dynamics to develop compelling brand positioning.
Product Innovation – Leading the development of new products and product-related opportunities:
– Leads the development of new products and product-related marketing opportunities, from concept to commercialization.
– Manages project teams and timelines to deliver products and programs. Strong leadership of cross-functional partners required to ensure successful launch.
– Collaborates across cross functional teams to gain a deep understanding of their markets from a consumer and business standpoint.
– Drive the channel, category and or platform strategy reflecting competitive and consumer trends and market needs across brand / category and or platform.
– Creates and/or manages the innovation funnel/roadmap for channel, category or platforms that deliver against the objectives and strategies.
– May lead new and optimized strategic initiatives that deliver against the brand positioning.
– May lead in the creation of platform and/or product positioning and ensuring relevancy across or within regions and channels.
– Strategic assessment of platforms within competitive context.
– Assist with capacity, sourcing, and cost reduction opportunities with SCO to ensure consistent supply.
Partner Development & Team Building – Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
– Challenges and inspires team members to achieve business results.
– Oversees training and development of partners directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
– Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve partners, business and customer results.
– Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
– Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
Summary of Experience
– Progressive experience in product or brand management. 6-10 years
– Project leadership in a cross-functional environment. 5-10 years
– MBA strongly preferred.
– Bachelors degree or 4 or more years of US military experience
– 4 or more years of experience in a role supporting marketing, brand management or product management
– 3 or more years of experience in a role managing 2 or more budgets
– 4 or more years of experience in a role leading the development of new or existing products or strategies from conception to implementation
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
– Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes. in cross-functional projects and activities.
– Strong organization and planning skills.
– Strong presentation skills.
– Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
– Ability to influence others.
– Strong analytical and technical skills; comfortable with syndicated data.
– Strong knowledge of marketing vehicles and marketing fundamentals.
– Must be able to work in a matrix environment, able to collaborate cross functionally.
– Strong cross-functional and team leadership.
– Strong interpersonal skills.
– Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
– Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
– Strong problem solving abilities.
– Functions effectively with ambiguity.
The Nestlé Companies are equal employment and affirmative action employers and looking for diversity in qualified candidates for employment.