JOB SUMMARY: Works with project teams to provide packaging specifications, concepts, and evaluation of technical feasibility with an emphasis on innovation, functionality (consumer benefits) and sustainability. Provides strategic input and direction to the R&D group regarding processes, procedure and overall vision of the group. Where required, provides estimates of costs and potential suppliers for functional packaging. Interacts closely with packaging suppliers, Nestle packaging network and outside technology providers to deliver the necessary I&R to the business.
1. Designs and develops packaging concepts for frozen and refrigerated foods with emphasis on the materials and structural characteristics of the packaging of finished products.
2. Ensures functional compatibility with packaging equipment and overall efficient manufacturing operations.
3. Develops concepts to optimize MW reconstitution of product for final consumption. This includes collaboration with appliance manufacturers, packaging materials converters, and equipment manufacturers to develop creative uses of functional materials such as microwave susceptors, shields, etc.
4. Leads and supports sustainability initiatives.
5. Provides packaging technical input and assistance internally within the R&D network and externally to, for example, factories, Marketing, Quality Assurance, etc.
6. Manages packaging jobs and projects as well as participates on system development project teams.
7. Maintains an up to date knowledge of trends and developments in the Marketplace.
8. Maintains up to date knowledge of all relevant Nestle Packaging Safety and Compliance requirements.
9. Networks effectively with vendors, CT-Pack, Nestle packaging networks, and Nestle operating companies worldwide to transfer knowledge and apply external ideas to relevant NDC Solon projects.
10. Ability to handle multiple large scale projects simultaneously and work under pressure to meet deadlines and project objectives.
11. All other duties as defined by Nestle Management.
12. Support Nestle initiatives such as Globe, NESTMS, NQMS, etc.
13. Support Knowledge Management process through specifications, lab/trial reports, project reports, IP opportunities, and sharing lessons learned with your colleagues.
14. Maintains an up to date knowledge and experience of role relevant packaging materials and technologies as defined in the competency matrix.
sition is in support and service of key Nestle Brand partners – Stouffer’s, Lean Cuisine, Hot Pockets, Sweet Earth, Garden Gourmet, Tivall, Buitoni, DiGiorno, CPK, Jack’s, Tombstone and Tollhouse as well as the R&D Nestle Global environment and other Nestlé brands.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, and Knowledge):
• B.S. Degree in Packaging Science or equivalent
• 7+ years packaging experience in the food industry
• Project Management skills
• Strong communication skills
• Excels in a collaborative team environment and is able to lead cross-functional teams
• Design of Experiments knowledge and skills
• Strong Packaging testing knowledge
• Ability to work in cross functional teams
• Can develop and execute multifaceted test plan which include: factory trials, shelf life protocols, and lab/distribution testing.
• Networking & Information gathering skills
• Ability to travel 10 – 30%, domestically and internationally.
The Nestlé Companies are equal employment and affirmative action employers and looking for diversity in qualified candidates for employment.